Blackvue DR970X-2CH LTE (4k)
The Blackvue DR970X-2CH LTE is the latest upgrade (released in March 2023) to its all-in-one Cloud-connected model.
This is a first for Blackvue, finally releasing a 4K resolution LTE dashcam. This dashcam is the flagship product from Blackvue and users will not only get crystal clear 4K video footage, they can also access the dashcam remotely without the need of an external LTE module (SIM card required)
This particular model is the Global or GL version which is NZ compatible.
The DR970X-2CH LTE also includes signature features of the BlackVue dash cams such as the BlackVue Cloud access, direct Wi-Fi connectivity, built-in GPS receiver, screenless tube-shaped design and outstanding build quality and reliability.The DR970X-2CH LTE Plus is designed for those who want instant remote access to their dashcam via BlackVue Cloud. This is achieved via the built-in 4G LTE module (no external Wi-Fi hotspot needed anymore): just insert your SIM card with an active data plan into the camera and go!
Please see some notes below in regards to the LTE, Mobile Data and Cloud capabilities.
Combined with the Included 3-pin hardwiring cable or a Battery Pack, the DR970X-2CH LTE automatically switches into Parking Recording Mode when parked and will continue to monitor your vehicle, recording and storing events for review later – or alerting you in real-time via the BlackVue Cloud Alerts. In addition to this, your camera also records the seconds leading up to the event ensuring you have the whole picture, thanks to video buffering.
Blackvue Promo Video
- BlackVue Cloud support allows you to remotely see what the unit is seeing, where it is at the moment, receive real-time "impact" alerts provide other and other security features.
- In addition to the Cloud access, the camera's built-in Wi-Fi module provides a direct connection to your smartphone allowing you to view the footage without using any mobile data (within a 0-15 metre range from your car).
- 8MP CMOS image sensor that is used in the front dashcam cameras produces fantastic 4K clarity under low light.
- The built-in GPS receiver logs your vehicle’s location, speed and time so you can visualize its position on the map.
- Protect yourself from hit-and-run accidents while your car is parked with motion-activated or timelapse Parking Modes (requires Hardwiring or Battery Pack).
- Based on supercapacitors, with the max operating temperature of 70°C and high-temperature cut-off, this camera can work well in New Zealand summer.
Important LTE, Mobile Data and Cloud Notes
- The Blackvue DR970X-2CH LTE can be used even without the Cloud. What this means is that even if you do not have a SIM card at the moment, you can still use this camera to record driving footage - it just won't be available for remote access. In other words, video recording does not require Cloud connectivity nor mobile data.
- To utilize this LTE dash cam to full capacity, you will need to supply your own 'nano' SIM card in order to enable the Cloud features. Our testing shows that it is compatible with all the major New Zealand LTE operators including Spark (Skinny), ONE and 2degrees (testing was carried out in the Auckland Region).
- BlackVue offers different Cloud Plans for different needs. We at DriverCam found Free Plan more than suitable for personal use, however, if you're planning to have more than one camera connected to your account or use the Fleet Management capabilities, please consider BlackVue Cloud Fleet Plans.
- When it comes to mobile data consumption, our testing showed that a 2.5GB monthly data plan sufficed a reasonable use of BlackVue Cloud, including GPS tracking, alerts, impact video uploads and occasional live view sessions. We recommend 2.5GB data plans for moderate Cloud users and 5GB plans for heavy Cloud users.
- Please note that not all recordings created by your DR970X-2CH LTE dash cam are sent up to the Cloud automatically. Not only is it typically unnecessary (for most drivers) to have a Cloud backup of literally every second of normal driving or parking mode videos, but uploading each and every recording to the Cloud via LTE would simply consume too much data to be feasible. For example, a 2-hour drive could easily generate 20 GB+ of video files on the memory card, so you can see how trying to send this much data to the Cloud would quickly burn up heaps of data allocation. Instead, BlackVue has solved this problem by automatically uploading "important" files tagged by the dash cam impact sensors as "Events" both during driving and parking. The sensitivity of the sensors and upload settings can be adjusted.
- If remote access to your dash cam isn't a priority for you, you may consider other non-LTE options such as the DR770X or the DR970X. These models are generally more affordable and compact in size and, if the need for the Cloud functionality arises later, the BlackVue LTE Modem can be added as an optional extra.
Specs and Manual
|Blackvue DR970X-2CH LTE (Global Version)
|Built-in 4G LTE module compatible (nano sim required)
|Front: Width 137.6 mm / Height 43 mm / 161 g
Rear: Black / Width 67.4 mm x Height 25 mm / 25 g
|Front: 8-Megapixel CMOS sensor
Rear: Sony STARVIS™ CMOS Sensor (Approx. 2.1 M Pixel)
|Front: Diagonal 155°, Horizontal 130°, Vertical 70°
Rear: Diagonal 139°, Horizontal 116°, Vertical 61°
|Resolution and Frame Rate
|Front: 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 30 fps
Rear: Full HD (1920×1080) @ 30 fps
|Image Quality Modes
|Extreme, Highest, High, Normal
|Memory Card Support
|MicroSD Class 10 U-1 or faster, up to 256GB.
BlackVue 64GB card included.
|MP4, H.264 Video Codec
– Event (Impact Detection / Speed Limit / Manual)
– Parking Mode (Motion+Impact Detection, Timelapse)
|Supported out of the box
|Event File Overwrite Protection
|Supported (up to 50 files)
|Supported (via built-in LTE Module or Wi-Fi connection)
|B1, B3, B7, B20
|Built-in (802.11n, 2.4 - 2.4835 GHz)
|Speaker, Voice Guidance
|3-Axis Acceleration Sensor
|DC 12V – 24V (DC Plug: ? 3.5 x ? 1.35)
|GPS On / Cloud On: 470 mAh (at 12 V)
GPS On / Cloud Off: 410 mAh (at 12 V)
Parking Mode : GPS Off/Cloud On 370 mAh (at 12 V)
* Actual power consumption varies depending on environment.
|-20 °C to 70 °C
|-20 °C to 70 °C
|Approx. 70 °C
|Front: FCC, CE, Telec, IC, UKCA, RoHS, WEEE, RCM, KC
Rear: FCC, IC CE, UKCA, RCM, RoHS, WEEE
* Windows 7 or higher, Mac Yosemite OS X or higher
* Android 5.0 or higher (requires 64-bit operating system), iOS 9.0 or higher
|– Seamless Pairing with your smartphone via BlackVue App
Specs are taken from the official BlackVue website.
The DR970X-2CH LTE comes with the 64GB MicroSD memory card out of the box which is capable of storing around 4 hours worth of footage (on the highest video quality settings). If you'd like to keep more footage, you can add a more capacious option in the drop-down menu above. Each memory card option in the menu is marked with its price and estimated recording time.
Shipping and Taxes
Free overnight NZ Post tracked courier shipping within New Zealand from drivercam.co.nz for all the orders above $200! (rural approximately 3 days)
We Also Recommend